As another twist on the current discussions about the Future of PhotoBooks, another new venue (okay, Blog) is sprouting wings, a joint venture between blogsters Hester Keijser of mrs. deane & Jorg Colberg of Conscientous for a blog dedicated to aiding the distribution of dyi books & zines for sale, titled The Independent Photo Book. I am not sure how this will play out, but I have already added this link in my Gallery Bookstore side-bar (in hindsight, I could have provided this side-bar will a better name, but now I have no idea of how to change the header’s name after the fact).
Jorg states it like this:
The idea behind The Independent Photo Book is simple: You email us the information about your independent photo book or zine – following the guide lines outlined on the blog – and we’ll create a post with the information about it. No selection – we post whatever we get, as long as it’s an independent photo book or magazine.
Let me stress that the idea behind the blog is to allow people to not only find out about the book/zine, but also to buy it. So if your book/zine can’t be bought, we won’t list it. And of course it’s great if your book or zine can be bought at Walter’s Mom and Pop Bookshop in St. Middleofnowhere, but that doesn’t help anyone – so you need to send us the link to a page where people can buy the book online.
So if you are interested in submitting the listing of your book or zine on the new blog, here’s what they want you to know:
– We only accept announcements about existing print books or zines (strictly no fundraisers)
– no repeat announcements or “special offers” or “30% off” sale announcements
– we only list books or zines that cannot be bought via Amazon.com (or any other Amazon or internet book seller), or actual (chain) book shop – specialty/photo shops such as Schaden or Dashwood, of course, are perfectly fine
– Title of publication
– Name of artist(s) (if applicable)
– additional contributors (if applicable)
– Type of publication/Description (“book”, “zine”, “box of prints with zine”, whatever else)
– Number of pages, size (both metric and non-metric)
– Two or three sentence description (strictly not longer)
– one image to post
– Website link to more detailed description/info about the book/zine
– Web link where the book/zine can be ordered
Best regards, Douglas